Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson

I read it, because so many reviewers talked about how funny it was. I needed a good cheery read, after a series of tragedies (both literary and personal). It was indeed funny in parts, particularly when he talks about the threat of bear attacks. Yes, I know that doesn't sound like a terribly funny subject, but believe me his treatment of it is hysterical. I would put a sampling here, but it would ruin the book for those who might want to read it, by destroying some of the choicer reading experiences herein, rather like one of those movie trailers that end up being funnier than the movie. The reason I say this is that the book is not primarily comedy. The primary intent of the author is to stir in the reader a sense of the value of wilderness, and a desire to preserve it. I'm a sucker for this sentiment already. I thoroughly enjoyed his frequent divergence from the story line to teach us about the history and ecology of the Appalacian Trail. It is an easy, and pleasant read, at most times. I must warn my friends, who are sensitive to such things, that there is some very crude language used occasionally by Bryson's companion along the trail. If you cannot stomach filthy language, steer clear. Otherwise, it is a worthwhile read, giving a sense of the majesty and mystery that is the American wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment