Friday, September 25, 2009

The Jeeves Collection, by P. G. Wodehouse

Most of my favorite books are serious in nature, a learning experience. This is one delightful exception. This book is one of the few that have ever made me laugh out loud while reading it alone. It is hysterically funny. It is "humour" with an "u", that is, British style. Jeeves is the character who started all of those stereotyped butlers who are smarter than their employers. You would think that, since we are so familiar with this kind of character now, we would know what to expect, but Jeeves is a constant surprise. He was the first, and he is still the best. As the title of one of Wodehouses novels has it, he is "the Inimitable Jeeves."

2 comments:

  1. Do you know that there was a British TV series based on these books, made in the 1960s. I expect they're available on DVD somewhere. It was regular viewing in our household when I was a teen.

    Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I was not familiar with these. If it was as well produced as the original, it must have been quite entertaining. I have always preferred British humour (with a "u"). I love their emphasis upon word play.

    ReplyDelete