Thursday, September 17, 2009

A Host of Reasons

I collect Reading Lists. I still have the first such list, a four-paged double-columned list of books "to be read before entering college," that I received from my freshman English teacher in high school. It consisted largely of classics, so it did not take me long to realize that this list should have been labeled "a lifelong reading list." I continue to chisel away at this list; however, I have never used the list to select books. Rather, periodically I find myself perusing this list and checking off a few more. The more books I can check off, the more I feel that I am a well-read person. This is a pleasure worth sharing. So, one purpose of this blog is to make my collection of reading lists available publically.

My long-term involvement in a Reading Group, as well as my voracious reading appetite, has given me many opportunities to search book reviews on-line. There are few sources for commercially unbiased reviews, and these tend to focus on best-selling books. Among those that cover a broader range of books, the bulk of the reviews come from questionable sources: readers whose education, reading history and philosophical stance are unknown and sometimes suspect. A rave review from several pretentious reviewers does not guarantee a book is worth reading. Nor is a pan from several illiterate pulp fiction readers a guarantee that a book is worthless. I'm hoping to fill the gap, by offering reviews of a broad range of books, from a single, well-educated and well-read source. Not everyone will agree with my opinions, but they will know the criteria upon which I base those opinions, as well as my credentials.

Likewise, I have had experience in searching for reading group guides. Again, these tend to focus upon best-sellers, or at least those that the publisher hopes to make best-sellers. They also tend to be short, and largely uninsightful. I know from my college classes that the right question engages minds, and promotes lively and long-lived discussion. When a person joins a reading group, I believe they do so with the intent to broaden their scope, participate in life-long learning, and come to a greater understanding of human nature. I hope to contribute questions for reading groups that will serve these worthy ends.

Last, but certainly not least, I desire to write essays about literature. My primary interests involve the history of ideas, exploring World Views, ethics in fiction, what makes for quality fiction, and life lessons learned from literature. I want to share my passion for reading great books of all eras. I hope to find others with a similar passion, and perhaps even to inspire a few readers to embark upon deeper waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment