Monday, September 21, 2009

Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers

If you, like me, don't generally enjoy genre fiction, you will be pleasantly surprised. This is Literature.

This is the third in the series of Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane novels, but this is the best of the best. I found this book in an odd way. I collect book lists, that is lists of books that are recommended as "must read"s. Oh, not just any list, mind you. These must be from committees of literature professors, famous authors that I admire, that sort of thing. Anyway, I came across a list that was made by, not just authors, but contemporary philosophers, the deep thinkers of our time. They were asked to list the ten books that influenced them the most. The lists were your typical collection of great works, full of classic philosophy and the occassional classic novel. But there in the midst of these familiar classics was this one odd book, a Mystery novel, "Gaudy Night." The author/Philosopher who listed it gave good reason for her choice. She said that it was not just a mystery, but explored the philosophical theme of the price we pay for ideals. This, of course, peaked my interest, and I bought the book.

After reading the philosopher's review, I knew I was to expect insightful analysis of scholarly ideals. What I did not expect was the deceptively simple, yet elegant style, the keen glimpses into human nature, and the warm tone of the whole. Dorothy Sayers has the tenderness toward humanity of George Eliot, a true godly mercy that embraces the whole human race. It was a novel full of surprises for me. Only after I had read this did I discover that it was actually third in a series of books. This is the best of them, which is why it was the one recommended, but is not the only one worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment